Pharmacy Consulting

Pharmacy Healthcare Solutions Inc. (PHSI) consults with pharmaceutical manufacturers, PBMs, retail pharmacy chains, and software companies on strategic business and marketing issues. Consulting projects across these market segments provide PHSI with the latest information on emerging trends as well as new products and services. Our consultants have extensive retail, mail service and managed care experience to create actionable recommendations for our clients’ challenging business issues.

News & Events

2016 Fall Newsletter- 2017 Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan Trends

Starting in 2017, there will be 41 million beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part D plans.  About 60% of these beneficiaries are enrolled in stand-alone prescription drug plans (PDPs), while the remaining 40% are in Medicare Advantage plans (MA-PDs).  Although the total number of Part D beneficiaries has not substantially changed since 2016, the premiums and Read More →

2016 Fall Newsletter- Drug Exclusion Lists 2017 Update

PBMs and health plans have finalized their 2017 drug formularies, and payers have announced the products on this year’s highly anticipated formulary exclusion lists.  While many of the drugs remain the same as the previous year, the increased presence of biosimilars and generic specialty drugs has caused some interesting changes for the exclusion lists.  The Read More →

ComputerTalk for the Pharmacist November/December 2016

PHSI Consultant Ann Johnson contributed to the November/December 2016 edition of ComputerTalk for the Pharmacist.  In her Viewpoints article, Ann reviews recent market and regulatory changes taking place with controlled substances. The article focuses on new CDC opioid guidelines, increased availability and utilization of prescription drug monitoring programs (PDMPs), and electronic ordering of CIIs using Read More →

Latest from the Blog

Different Actions Targeting Opioid Abuse and Misuse

There are many different actions taking place to target opioid abuse and misuse.  PHSI regularly posts about the DEA Drug Take Back Days.  Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs enable healthcare providers to monitor patient use of opioids with the goal to reduce deaths due to opioid use.  Changes are being made to make naloxone available without Read More →

Connecting Patients with Mental Health Pharmacies

There are many different specialized pharmacies but this is a new unique specialization. A new website has launched to list and direct patients to 850 pharmacies that specialize in mental health pharmacy services. These pharmacies meet certain criteria to be listed and the website allows the patient to search for a pharmacy by address. This Read More →

Highmark Response to PPA Advocating

This summer, Highmark announced that the vaccine administration fee paid to pharmacies would be cut from $25 to $3.  The Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association (PPA) acted swiftly to address this 88% reduction in payment that could severely impact pharmacies throughout the Commonwealth.  PPA members and staff held a discussion with Highmark to highlight the concerns with Read More →